Research In Motion has just released BBM version 7. In this beta, users get a brand new featured dubbed BBM Voice. The new feature brings voice chat capabilities to BBM.
Features of BBM Voice include:
- Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
- The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
- BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
- BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- If it’s not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.
Sadly, group voice chat is not available. Perhaps, send feedback to RIM letting them know you’d like that feature and maybe we’ll see it in the final release. Check out our hands-on walk-through of BBM Voice below: