BlackBerry 10 Icons to Look Like PlayBook’s at Launch?
He says “someone at RIM who confirmed developers should change their current app icons.” RIM is apparently dropping the size from 150 x 150 down to 114 x 114.
Here’s a quick look from the official guideline:
Designing an icon for your BlackBerry smartphone application gives you the opportunity to showcase your application to BlackBerry users. In the BlackBerry World storefront, an icon is the first introduction that users have to your application. The icon also appears on the home screen as the way for users to open your application.
Your icon is placed on a transparent tile automatically with the application name label underneath the icon.
The following best practices help your icon fit in with the application icons on the home screen.
- Create an icon that is a 114 x 114 pixel square. This approach is the best (and easiest) way for your icon to fit in with other BlackBerry application icons. Larger icons will be scaled down to 114 x 114 pixels.
- Focus on a single iconic metaphor that clearly represents the application. Think of your icon as a road sign that people understand quickly.
- Base your icon on a square, circle, or rectangle shape.
- Use a silhouette to differentiate your icon from other icons.
- Try to maintain consistency with other BlackBerry application icons in scale, volume, and perspective.
Perspective and lighting
- Apply lighting that is top-down at a 90 degree angle.
- Create a focal point in the center of the icon.
- Keep the icon flat and avoid excessive depth.
- Apply the following properties for drop shadows: distance: 2 pixels, size: 2 pixels, and angle: 90 degrees.
- Create an icon that is 106 x 106 pixels if you want to allow room for a drop shadow or outer glow.
- If you use a symbol in your icon, try to make it the same size as the symbols in otherBlackBerry application icons.
- Use a five pixel stroke where appropriate. This is especially important so that icons with a dark background are always visible on the home screen.
- Limit the number of colors that you use in your icon.
Limit the number of materials that you use. BlackBerry application icons draw from the following materials: soft plastic, paper, metal, and gloss.