Android 7.1.1 Nougat To Roll out in December
Mark your calendar Nexus 6P and Pixel users, Google is rolling out the update for the Android 7.1.1 Nougat in December. According to reports, Nexus owners will get the new update on December 6. It is only logical for Google to continue supporting the Nexus line by giving them the latest and best Android version first. The December 6 date falls back just in time with the previously cited frames in Developer Preview. That being said, the Android 7.1.1 Nougat will come to Huawei Nexus 6P, LG Nexus 5X, and Pixel C at the beginning.
Will my phone get the update?
Not all phones will get the new update instantly. As per reports, Google will roll out the update for Nexus 6P phones, as well as Pixel phones. You’ll need 650MB of free space to install the update with build number “NMF26F.
All Nexus 6P users are advised to fully charge their phone before they download the update. You should also back up date like photos and messages. You can download the update with firmware-over-the-air update or from the System Update option in “Settings > About”.
The timeline for the update is the following:
- 10,000 randomly selected phones will be eligible for the update in the first three days
- From day 4 till day 13, 10% of the remaining phones will receive the update. Every day there will be 10% selected form the remaining pool. Users will have to check the settings menu to manually update their phone
- On day 14, all devices will be eligible for the update. That means that by December 20, every Pixel and Nexus 6P user will have the Android 7.1.1 Nougat update ready.
What is New?
There are a number of features that Google will introduce with the Android 7.1.1 Nougat update. While most of the update is decorative and security features, there are some fancy features as well. Here are some:
- App shortcuts is probably the hottest new feature. This is the most obvious facing feature. At the beginning, only first-party Google apps will support app shortcuts.
- However, as Google develops the feature, third-party apps will be able to use it as well
- Raise to wake and tap to wake are two features that will come to the Pixel phones. This feature debuted on the iPhone 7, and Google is now bringing to the Android eco system
- You’ll also notice reworked quick settings. There is no another toggle to the row, and you can access Settings shortcut more easily
- Speaking of settings, there is a new Support tab there. You can place all your Google related questions there
- Google will also bring 100 new emoji to the eco system. And the new emoji will focus on gender equality. There are 11 different professions available for both genders.