Another device that we all knew we would see pretty soon has been announced at WES 2010, the BlackBerry Bold 2. The 9650 is set to arrive on North American networks in early May. It supports 3G, Wifi, has the optical trackpad, and comes with 512 MB of flash memory (plenty of space to support OS 6.0 and the webkit browser). A solid release date has yet to surface, but it seems that one might be coming soon. Hit the jump for more details and the press release.
RIM Introduces the New BlackBerry Bold 9650 Smartphone
CDMA customers get a bold new choice with powerhouse 3G
smartphone that offers premium features and performance together with
popular keyboard and trackpad, as well as support for Wi-Fi and
high-speed 3G networks around the world
Waterloo, ON – Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM)
today introduced the BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone – the latest
addition to the BlackBerry Bold portfolio of premium smartphones.
Sophisticated, powerful and feature-rich, the BlackBerry Bold 9650 is a
global smartphone for CDMA customers who want to stay connected,
productive and entertained.
“The new BlackBerry Bold 9650 is an extraordinary smartphone that we
think customers will love,” said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO
at Research In Motion. “Whether at work or at play, the new BlackBerry
Bold 9650 offers a truly impressive communications, multimedia and
The BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone supports 3G (EVDO) networks in
North America and (HSPA/UMTS) abroad and has a full-QWERTY keyboard,
optical trackpad and built-in Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g), which makes it
possible to talk on the phone while browsing the web or sending and
receiving email. The BlackBerry Bold 9650 also includes 512 MB Flash
memory and an expandable memory card slot that supports up to 32 GB
microSDHC cards, with a 2 GB card included.
The BlackBerry Bold 9650 fuses form and function in a striking
design and, in addition to providing premium phone and multimedia
features, it of course delivers the industry’s leading mobile solution
for email, messaging (IM, SMS, MMS) and social networking.
Other key features of the BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone include:
- Stylish design (4.4″ x 2.4″ x .56″ and 4.8 oz.) with glossy black finish and chrome highlights
- Large (2.44″) high-resolution display (480 x 360 resolution at 245
ppi), able to display pictures, videos and web pages with impressive
contrast and detail
- 3.2 MP camera with flash, variable zoom, image stabilization, autofocus and video recording
- Advanced media player for videos, pictures and music, a 3.5 mm
stereo headset jack and support for the Bluetooth® Stereo Audio Profile
- BlackBerry® Media Sync for easily syncing photos as well as iTunes® and Windows Media® Player music with the smartphone*
- Easy mobile access to Facebook®, MySpace and Flickr®, as well as
popular instant messaging services including BlackBerry® Messenger
- Support for BlackBerry App World, featuring a broad and growing
catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for
- Full HTML web browser, streaming audio and video via RTSP
- Built-in GPS with support for geotagging, BlackBerry® Maps and other mapping applications
- Premium phone features including voice activated dialing, speakerphone, and Bluetooth (2.1).
- Support for high-speed EV-DO Rev. A networks in North America, as
well as UMTS/HSPA (2100Mhz) and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM networks abroad
- Removable and rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery for 5 hours of CDMA talk time
The BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone is expected to be available from
carriers in the United States beginning in May. For more information