Today RIM announced via their official blog that an update to the BlackBerry Podcasts app had finally been released. The app now sits at version 184.108.40.206 and features a number of value added features.
- Web podcast search
- Looking for that elusive feed? No problem – we’ve integrated Google® search. Now you can quickly search the web for podcasts and RSS feeds to supplement the built-in BlackBerry Podcast catalog. You just select “Add Podcast Channel” within the menu, then type in the feed (or keyword) you are looking for and you will invoke an RSS Google Search from within the app. Another great option is to simply cut and paste the podcast URL, if you already know it, and away you go!
- Improved Content Presentation within Categories
- We currently have over 3,000 feeds and growing – with many categories having over 100 feeds each! When presenting content within categories, the first 40 listings in each category will be “featured content” – a combination of the most popular feeds and RIM-programmed feeds. This helps you find the most compelling content first! However, if you prefer to go through all in alphabetical order, you can select “All Channels” to see all content within the category. It’s now easier than ever to find the podcast you’re looking for with v1.5 of the BlackBerry Podcast app!
- Preview or Play while downloading
- You don’t have to wait for the entire podcast to download before you can hit play to enjoy the latest feed. You can now preview or play at the same time that you are downloading, just to make sure that you’re downloading exactly what you want to hear.
BlackBerry Podcasts v1.5 will be available in BlackBerry App World starting today and will become available to users over the next 24 hours. Did you notice any other updates within this version? Be sure to let us know in the comments.