Want to have your Android app ready for the launch of BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0? There is a deadline to ensure it will be listed at launch. RIM is requiring all developers to submit their Android ported apps by February 6th. Here are the details:
In order to ensure that your packaged and signed Android app is available in the BlackBerry App World™ storefront for the release of BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, be sure to have your app submitted by Monday, February 6th, 2012.
To help with the process of submitting your application for approval and entry into BlackBerry App World,we strongly recommend the following:
- Before submitting your Android application to BlackBerry App World, please make sure to remove all mention of the word “Android” from your application. Both in the application description and the application itself.
- Please remove all links to Android Market from within your application.
- When submitting your Android application to BlackBerry App World, please make sure to select a minimum BlackBerry PlayBook OS of 2.0.
- Please make sure your application is signed. For more information on code signing, please view the code signing documentation on the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps webpage (linked here).
RIM released a few different options to convert your application (from APK to BAR) which are:
- The BlackBerry Plug-in for ADT, which is designed to augment your existing Eclipse development environment
- The BlackBerry Packager for Android apps, which is designed to allow you to test/convert your app through your browser (no downloads required!)
- The BlackBerry SDK for Android apps, which is designed to give you access to command-line arguments for scripting and getting your hands dirty
The porting process is very easy. You can of course submit your application at a later date, but in order to ensure broader reach and exposure to consumers, it is strongly suggested to have it submitted by February 6th, 2012.
via BB DevBlog